Not "Big Macs", and not referring to Dad either...
Today is a milestone in this blog. This is the first entry that has been created on a Mac instead of a PC. Yesterday we set off to Ginza to find the Apple store. A very nice building, shaped a little like a Mac computer. We left after half an hour or so with a receipt for a PowerMac. After a walk around (while they fitted the extra memory), we got back, collected the enormous box, and went home (in a taxi).
For anyone who is really interested, the specifications are:
2 x Xeon 4-way 2.8GHz CPUs
8GB Ram
320GB Hard-disk
Dual video card
Actually I have just noticed that although we paid for the 8GB memory, the system actually thinks it has 6GB. Tomorrow I will have to go back to the shop to find out what's going on.
Then today we needed to get a monitor to go with it. I had resisted buying the Apple Cinema display. While it's very nice, it's also extremely expensive compared to other brands. We went out to Akihabara - where the guy went mad a few weeks back and stabbed a number of people at an intersection. I am sitting in front of a 26inch wide-screen Samsung monitor. Actually the desk is a little too small - I end up sitting closer to the monitor than is strictly comfortable.
The next task will be to learn how to use the Mac - everything is just that little bit different to a Windows PC. Should be interesting.
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment