Friday, November 05, 2010

Back from Beirut

Well I am back in Tokyo safe and sound. No war breaking out while I was in Beirut. There is certainly a level of tension in the air, as I saw on Tuesday night when out with the local manager. We walked around the centre of the city before having dinner, and a few times we were passed by mini-convoys of armoured vehicles. Filled with solders with machine guns and their fingers on the triggers. The local guys that I spoke to were all optimistic, while at the same time recognising the challenges of maintaining peace.

But other than that, it was a nice city. There is a very definite Mediterranean feel to the place, and a few times I was reminded of Athens. Bad streets, crazy driving, lots of horns honking. Great food - the best hummus I have ever had, anywhere.

Well, Sunday night I fly to Seoul for Monday/Tuesday, then Tuesday night off to New York. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment