Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mashed potatoes will never be the same again

We made mashed potatoes for dinner tonight. Or rather, as Sonia is quick to point out, Potatoe Puree.

For reference, take 1.24 lbs of potatoes and gently boil them (in their skins) until they offer no resistance to being poked with a knife. Then drain the water, return the offending potatoes to the pot for a short time, to get rid of any remaining moisture (steam).

Then push them through your tamis (you don't have one?) - after peeling them, and while they are still hot. Then stick the resulting potato mass back into the pot and start, on a low heat, to mix in about 200ml of heavy cream, and 100g butter. While whipping using a wooden spoon. Don't add all of the cream or butter at once - it should take you about 10-15 minutes, alternating some butter and some cream. The cream should be warmed before adding, and the butter should be at room temperature.

And try not to use Japanese sweetened cream - we almost did but tasted it at the last minute (would that have made it sweet potato?).

The result is very smooth and relatively rich. A bit different to the mashed potatoes that I grew up on. :-)

And no, we did not stop to take photos. Try the recipe for yourself, Sharon.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 am

    With that much cream and butter I hope you are extending your hours in the gym

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to the family history of high cholesterol and stents I think I will be abstaining from this.

    I imagine this has come out of one of the French cookbooks you have?

    Although I have no idea what a tamis is, I would hazard a guess that it does the same thing as a potato ricer does?

    ReplyDelete