Saturday, March 06, 2010

What makes somewhere "home"?

For me, I think it ends up being able to do the ironing. Of all things.

This week was the first week that I had ironing that needed to be done, and the means to do it. The transformer (22.5 kg) is plugged in and powering the coffee machine and grinder. And the iron when needed. So this week I ironed a couple of shirts and a pile of handkerchiefs. At this point the place actually started to feel like a home.

Oh, there are still boxes around, and things that are missing (I need to get some oil or grease for the bearings on a drawer), and we are still missing curtains in a few places (Sonia has had them made in Bangkok and is slowly bringing them with her). But it did feel like home when I was standing there ironing things while watching TV (in English).

With mum and dad arriving in a few weeks, I guess I need to get things organised. The office needs to be sorted so that we can fit the blow-up mattress in there. (question - who gets to sleep on it) And I'm attempting to buy a car - which at the rate it's going might just arrive in time for when they get off the airplane at Narita. A combination of Japanese bureaucracy and language is slowing things dramatically. I'll write about this properly once I actually have the car - right now it's feeling like it may not happen.

Oh - another piece of news. I may well end up in Beirut in the near future (not permanently). Weird, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Ironing Hankies...what next Underwear? Do you have Skype?

    ReplyDelete