Thursday, April 02, 2009

Birthdays

Today is Sonia's birthday, as many will know. I took the momentous step of attempting to bake and ice a chocolate cake. The chocolate cake recipe is the Black Magic one on the Chelsea Sugar website.

All started out ok, mixing the cake stuff in a saucepan because the only bowl is a little (actually a lot) small. Then the fun started.

The only oven we have is a combination microwave, grill, convection thing that sits on the bench. Basically a microwave on half a course of steroids... We decided that the convection setting would be best because microwaving a cake is not a great move.

After about 10 minutes in there, the cake had an afro! Then it continued to rise. And kept going... Until there was able mixture flowing freely onto the spinning table. I ended up getting the metal jug used for frothing the milk for coffee and scooping mixture out... I guess I should not have filled the tin so much?

The cake tastes nice, albeit a little on the "wet" side. The thick cooked icing makes up for that. I took a few photos and will put them up shortly so you can all admire my handiwork.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:14 am

    We put Sonia onto that recipe because it is failsafe???? (Kyla can make it unattended). Guess we didn't take into account the possibility of odd cooking apparatus.

    ReplyDelete