Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shopping

Well as we are now down to only two full weeks in Japan, I went shopping for kitchenware this afternoon. There is a street called Kapabashi, which is lined with kitchen stores. Almost half of them were closed because it is Sunday, but I still managed to find most of the things I was looking for. The rest will have to wait until a visit after work one evening. So far, the tally includes:
  • 6 cherry wood miso bowls
  • 6 donburi bowls (big bowls for noodles)
  • 6 long narrow plates
  • 6 more plates (cannot remember exactly the shape)
  • 1 hangiri (wooden rice bucket 30 cm diameter with lid)
  • cooking chopsticks
  • sake flask with six cups
  • bamboo wood tea canister with bamboo scoop
  • tongs for pickled ginger
  • four serving dishes - different shapes and sizes
  • a soy sauce container

I still need to find:
  • 6 small cups with lids for serving savoury custard
  • 6 soba plates with bamboo mats
  • a rice paddle (for serving the rice)
  • 6 rice bowls with lids
  • 6 chopsticks with rests
  • six ladles for use with the donburi bowls (for hot udon/soba noodle soups)
  • a soba sauce pot (like a teapot)
  • a tetsubin (cast iron teapot)
  • an oroshigane (japanese grater)

In the process of writing this, I came across this website which has a lot of information about Japanese cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment