Sunday, October 08, 2006

Housing in Hong Kong

Well. My first time looking at apartments in Hong Kong. I had discussed our preferences with the agent beforehand, and agreed that she would show me a range of apartments in different areas. The idea was to cover off the main styles and expatriate areas, then make a decision about how best to proceed.

We looked at a new block in Pokfulam, then worked our way back into town and across towards Happy Valley. Pokfulam is nice, new, and very grand in the public areas in the development. Kennedy Town is a former industrial area that is slowly being redeveloped. The apartment block there was brand new and surrounded by old factories that are empty and awaiting destruction. Nice enough, but the apartment felt a bit small and the location was... strange. Then into Midlevels, which is older (buildings are 20-30 years old) and smaller. There is less emphasis on facilities in the block, probably because you're right in the city and therefore go out rather than staying in the development. Then lastly Happy Valley. The apartment was not great, but the location has a nice feel. Being Saturday midday by this stage, the streets were teeming with people enjoying the time at the shops, cafes, and restaurants. Like I say, a very nice feel.

Interestingly, the agent had rented a car (MPV) and driver to take us around the places. This meant being dropped off at the entrance of each block, then pickups right outside afterwards.

Then later today it was back onto the streets to explore. I caught a bus from Causeway Bay into Exchange Square - an adventure trying to work out which bus number to catch. Despite looking at the sign at the bus-stop and finding that bus 25 did stop at Exchange Square, I found that in reality the bus only stopped across the road and not somewhere signed as Exchange Square. I guess I will have to figure it out, as public transport will be the thing for commuting to work. The cost of parking in Central is sky-high, so it's not feasible to drive to work each day. That means MTR (as I have mentioned before it's busy) or buses (which are air-conditioned and go straight to the office block).

Having now cooked dinner (ham-steak and cheese slices on a bagel) and been to the gym, it is time to head for bed. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment