Thursday, October 12, 2006

Exercise habits

Not mine - other peoples'.

One of the things I've noticed about HK is the number of people I see exercising as I make my way to the office each morning. I'm in Pacific Coffee (again) having just walked past two or three people exercising gently. Something like Tai Chi but not. You need to understand the context of this. The office and Pacific Coffee are part of a large shopping mall, which is bounded by four office towers. The people I see exercising are standing in the courtyards of the shopping mall, while all around them people walk by. Imagine something similar to the office blocks and shopping areas in Queen St in Auckland, the Trafford Centre in Manchester, or maybe Edmonton Mall in Edmonton. A strange place to do your exercises when there are a number of small parks close by.

On a different note, I see from the NZ Herald that the government is finally starting to move on the traffic/roading problems in Auckland. The article is about the likely toll motorway from Manukau to Albany. About time, and people should stop worrying about tolls. Go most places in Europe and tolls are a fact of life. Same in Malaysia. Focus on more important things. However, it moves at a glacial pace - the motorway might be open in 2015, barring the usual delays.

And another article on smacking kids... Ignore for one moment the ridiculousness of legislating the limits on smacking to such a level of detail (maybe they should look at the principles rather than be prescriptive), read the final paragraph about mums and wooden spoons. Reminds me of a time when one parent used a wooden spoon, but it wasn't particularly effective. The spoon broke and both of us burst out laughing. And of course I was an angel and didn't deserve it at all!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:12 am

    Regarding corporal punishment with a wooden spoon . . . I recall several childhood episodes during which I am scooting down the hallway towards my bedroom (hopeful haven; probable prison), my hands protectively covering my bottom, my mother close on my heels, wooden spoon in hand. Not once was I innocent of behaviour requiring discipline and never have I suffered from such discipline. My humble opinion is that misbehaving children benefit more from firm (non-abusive) discipline than any amount of verbal reasoning.

    ReplyDelete